Sunday, February 04, 2007

Billy

Recieved this in my email.
Subject: New Orleans--Billy Graham

Subject: Billy Graham In New Orleans Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:21:15 In what might prove to be the crowning achievement of an illustriouscareer in ministry, the 85-year-old evangelist, Billy Graham shocked the16,300 in attendance at the Celebration of Hope crusade in New OrleansArena on Sunday Night. Touted in advance as possibly his lastevangelistic crusade, Graham invited the packed house of evangelicalChristians and the hundreds of new converts to join him on the one milewalk from the arena to New Orleans' infamous Bourbon Street. "While we have seen God do tremendous things here the past couple ofevenings. Yes, it is true that a great healing and a great manysalvations have occurred within the confines of this auditorium. Stillyet, there lies a great mountain in this city which needs to beconquered." Then taking from the Biblical Book of Joshua Chapter 14 he read, "I am this day, eighty-five years old. As yet I am as strongthis Day as on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then,so now is my strength for war, both for going out and for coming in. Nowtherefore, give me this mountain of which the Lord spoke in that day,"his voice suddenly sounding more forceful than during his 22 minutesermon. "I last preached in the City of New Orleans in 1954 and I felt then thatthere was some unfinished business. Tonight, in what very well might bemy last evangelistic service, I aim to finish that business and lead asmany of you that would follow me to the multitude of lost souls that fillBourbon Street tonight. That is my mountain ! That is where we shall see the harvest!" said Graham as the stadiumerupted in cheers that lasted the next several minutes. Utilizing awaiting mobility scooter, the elder Graham joined his son and heir to theministry, Franklin across the Arena floor and through the opened doorsleading towards the French Quarter. In a show of solidarity anddetermination reminiscent of civil rights marches of the 1960's, nearlythe entire capacity crowd joined in the 20 minute trek while singing,"When the Saints Go Marching In". As the march crossed Canal Street and headed northward towards BourbonStreet, many onlookers stood in stunned silence as the massive crowd ofpeople began singing in unison the Christian hymn, Amazing Grace. Uponentering the west end of Bourbon Street, Billy Graham was soon recognizedby partiers. Soon those joining in the march began to approach those partying onBourbon Street with the Gospel message that they had heard preached justa half hour before. Graham himself joined with a group of local streetevangelist in ministering to a man who had survived Hurricane Katrina inthe lower 9th Ward. Within 30 minutes the entirety of Bourbon Street was packed withChristians and the once blaring music of nightclubs and strip joints hadbeen replaced by weeping and worship as people poured out their drinksand sought prayer from the Christians who were now reaching out to them."I have never seen anything like this in my life," said 20 years NewOrleans Police Department veteran, Tom Phillips. "This is unbelievable!We thought a riot was going to break out, but this looks more like arevival than a riot!" Two hours later, a glowing Graham sat back down on his scooter andsmiled. "Now I know how the Apostle Paul must have felt at the end of hisministry. Do the work of an evangelist; make full proof of thy ministry.For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is athand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have keptthe faith." Hours later hundreds of Christians remained on the street ministering tothe many people eagerly waiting to receive prayer and ministry. NewOrleans will never be the same. And the press remained mute on this "newsitem?" Did anyone see it on TV/hear it on radio/read it in the paper? Why are wenot surprised? Can't have THAT just prior to a major election, now, canwe? Well, just on a whim, spread the news, anyway. It cost our elderbrother, Billy Graham, more than any of us know to make that effort. Theleast we can do it publicize it. "I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find outthere isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and find out there is."

1 comment:

Karuna said...

Yeah, Praise be to our Living Lord Jesus, Who is able to perform His miracles, whether they be made famous by those television guys or not. They know for sure, it is a move of God and no one can shut this out....I'm going to put this on my blogs..
And by the way...a new tulip bud is coming :) I am happy again...well I was happy anyways. But yet another lesson, keep planting the seed, you never know which one will break through..

Praise God
Godzheart