Thursday, September 17, 2009

Song of Solomon

As I was reading the Song of Solomon, the words and actions of the Shulammite girl reminded me of the Psalms. She remembers the previous times that she and her Beloved were together, she remembers his past acts. She dreams about him. She looks forward to the time when they will be together always, and know each other in a more intimate, stronger way. When they are apart, she seeks after him. She searches for him. She continually sings his praises. She reminds me much of the Psalmist.

"I remember the days of old;
I meditate on all that you have
done;
I ponder the work of your hands.
I stretch out my hands to you;
my soul thirst for you like a
parched land. Psalm 143:4-6

Unlike the Psalms we hear the personal response from the Beloved in a more direct way. He see's her as more beautiful than all others. He tells us how wonderful and perfect she is. And like the Shulammite girl, he wants to be with her as much as she wants to be with him. Think about that, God wants to be with you as much as you want to be with Him! I urge everyone to read the Song of Solomon and remember anew God's great love.

No comments: