Monday, January 08, 2007

Bread

Wherever the words of Jesus echo in the Old Testament scripture I always take a closer look. “Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord? Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.” Proverbs 30: 8-9. This reminds me of the Lords Prayer when Jesus instructing us how to pray say’s “Give us today our daily bread.” Matthew 6: 11. For me it is quit clear from scripture that we are not to pray for more than we need. Continuing in chapter 6 of Matthew, Jesus teaches that we are not to worry about tomorrow concerning what we are to eat or drink or what we are to wear. He ends his comparison to us with the lilies of the field: So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we drink?’ Or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things and your heavenly Father knows you need them. Matthew 6: 31-32. Please beware of wrong teaching. Jesus compares the pursuit of material possessions with paganism. It is of the world and not of God’s kingdom. King David also assures us, “I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed.” Psalm 37: 25-26. My favorite scripture concerning wealth and poverty comes from the Apostle Paul and should be our attitude as well. “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want, I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:11-13. May the presence of Christ be with you and me.

4 comments:

Bardouble29 said...

Hi Gary, thanks for the visit and the words of encouragement...I do have a deep faith and just get frustrated at others. God Bless!

kdzu said...

Don't you think Gary, that a righteous man shouldn't strive to accomplish all that he can so as to be better able to help his fellow man. I refer to 1st Chronicles 4:10.....

And Jabez was more honorable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow.

10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

Appreciated your comment on my blog.

Gary Wood said...

kdzu, I agree that our motivation should be to help our fellow man and that it is Biblical to try to earn more to help others.(The servants and the talents). If our primary concern is to have more homes and fill our barns and to accumulate more and more wealth for ourselves we should reconsider our motivation. What one needs and enjoys and what one gives away to minister to others is between them and God and no one else.

Karuna said...

I think its more about "being content", than about getting riches. One can be rich and be content, or can be poor and be content. However man is never content to be rich and thats where the love of money overtakes their contentment. I also cannot deny the fact that the Bible says that the children of God always had enough, even so that they could share.